The Classic Margarita, a mainstay cocktail. Surprisingly easy to make with three ingredients lime juice, cointreau, and tequila.
Links may be Affiliate Links. If you click an affiliate link I may earn a small commission.
How to make a Classic Margarita
My favorite drink!
Is it yours too? So many people I know will say a Margarita is their favorite and luckily it is so darn easy to make!
With only 3 ingredients, you will never need a mix again!
Barware for the Best Margarita
Margaritas use pretty common place barware and kitchen items.
- Cocktail Shaker
- Citrus Juicer
- Margarita Glass OR Other Cocktail Glass
You will also need commonplace items like a knife, cutting board, & ice. Also if you want a salted glass, a small plate for the salt.
Ingredients for a Classic Margarita
The margarita, like so many other cocktails will greatly depend on the quality of alcohol used. So I have included my favorite ‘everyday’ and favorite ‘special’ tequilas below.
- Tequila – In a classic margarita you will want to use a Blanco or Plata (White or Silver) tequila. Tequila is broken out into four categories; Blanco/Plata, Joven Abocado (Gold), Repasado, and Añejo (aged). If you would like to use a tequila from a different category that is perfectly okay. I recommend using your favorite tequila, that will make the drink all that much better. If you don’t have a favorite my favorite ‘everyday’ tequila is Tres Agaves and my favorite ‘special’ tequila is Casamigos.
- Cointreau – Cointreau is a classic bar staple also used in a Cosmo. This orange flavored liqueur can also be swapped out with Triple Sec.
- Lime Juice – For the best margarita I urge you to use a fresh lime, it makes a world of difference from the bottled stuff. Typically 1 medium sized lime is the perfect amount of juice you will need for your drink.
And if you want to garnish your drink you will also need a lime slice or wedge. And for a salted rim some salt (sea salt or kosher salt work best).
- 1 oz lime juice (1 medium lime)
- 1 oz cointreau
- 2 oz tequila
- Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- Lime wedges or wheels
- To salt the rim of the glass take a lime wedge and run it all along the top rim. Add salt to a small plate and dip the juiced rim into the salt. Add ice to the glass.
- Add the lime juice, cointreau, and tequila to a cocktail shaker with a handful of ice. Shake until cold about 10 seconds. Strain over top the ice. Garnish with a lime slice.
One average sized lime produces about 1 oz of lime juice.
Triple Sec may be replaced for the cointreau.
For a sweeter beverage add ½ ounce agave or simple syrup.
Serving Size:1 drink
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 0g